Sunday, December 5, 2010

Good, Better, Best

Good, Better, Best: Trade Secrets for Spotting a "Find"

There was a talk a little while ago by one of my church leaders named Dallin H. Oaks.  This is similar to the Simplify blog post, but I was just thinking about this today and I think many people need a reminder.

Basically what I learned from the talk is that in any given day, at any given time, we have many choices of what to do.  Many of those choices are good choices, but not better or the best things we can do with our time.  Some of those choices are better choices than the good choices, but not as good as the best choices.  The best choices are what is MOST important for you to do with your time.

I find the good choices are plentiful (like Facebook and Twitter - it's good to move my business forward and connect with friends, but it can also eat up a lot of time that I need to spend on other things).  The better choices are not as abundant (like cleaning - not fun, but needs to be done), but are still plentiful.  Yet, the BEST things I can do at any given moment take more time and effort to discover.

What are your priorities?  What are your values?  What is the MOST important (either makes the most money or can't be done another day or most valuable - the crystal balls as Rich German mentioned) RIGHT NOW?  As Robert Allen would say, the most successful people procrastinate - they just procrastinate the good and the better things and focus on the BEST first.

I realized this morning that this is something I need to strive harder to accomplish.  Being a stay-at-home mother of a busy little 14-month old boy and apartment manager take up most of my time.  It doesn't leave me much time to focus on my businesses.  I have SO much going on and not much time to do it in that I need to focus on the BEST, and once I get that accomplished focus on the next best, etc.

Because I'm not feeling well right now, the BEST thing I think I can do right now is prepare for and go to bed.  Good night.


You are AWESOME!

No comments:

Post a Comment